The effects of drinking alcohol
Drinking alcohol often takes away your inhibitions. This means that it’s more likely you’ll do something dangerous that you wouldn’t normally decide to do. Did you know that:
- 10,000 young people go to hospital every year because they have been drinking.
- More than one in ten 15 and 16-year-olds are involved in an accident caused by drinking.
- One in five 15-year-old girls say they have had sex after drinking alcohol that they later regretted.
- You’re more likely to have unprotected sex if you’ve been drinking.
- Young women who drink alcohol are twice as likely to have an unplanned pregnancy than those who don’t.
- You’re more likely to get a criminal record or get into trouble with the police if you drink too much on a regular basis.